Common Browser Issues
While surfing the web, people come across the frustrating Internet Explorer not responding error message; the same goes if IE cannot display a web page popups. These two are the most commonly encountered errors in the default browser of Windows. Some of the troubleshooting steps mentioned below are more or less the same as for Internet Explorer not responding issues, which is especially the case with disabling the browser add-ons.
Disable Add-Ons in Internet Explorer
This works if the web page failing to load fully has to do with the add-ons installed in IE browser. To detect that and disable add-ons, follow the below steps.
- Click on Start, search for Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) in the search box, and open it.
- Now, try to open the same website you had encountered the error on Internet Explorer. If it is loading up, then an add-on installed in the browser may be to blame.
- To disable that, go to Internet Explorer standard mode, click on the Tools menu, and navigate to Internet Options.
- Under Programs, click on the Manage add-ons option to open up its dialog box.
- Click on an add-on in the browser from the list that pops up to the right side, and click on Disable
- Repeat disabling add-ons until you figure out which one is causing the browsing inconvenience on Internet Explorer.
If that fails to resolve the “web page cannot be displayed” error, see to it if your internet connection is working fine.
Double-Check Browser and Internet Settings
Check the modem, wireless, router, and other settings to ensure that they are working. If such settings are ok, double-check the PC’s IP address following the below steps.
- Press and hold down to Ctrl and R keys to open Run dialog box.
- In Run, key in cmd and press Enter
- In the popup window, type in ipconfig and hit the Enter
- In case you see the IP address column starting with 169.254, it is likely the issue has got to do with internet connection as it’s a private address of Windows. Contact your Internet Service Provider if that is the case.
If that is not the starting letters of IP address shown, see to it if the browser is configured to Work Offline mode.
- Click on the File menu in Internet Explorer and check if the said mode is chosen.
- If so, deselect the offline option.
In case you come across Internet Explorer cannot display the web page error in future, get in touch with browser tech support for a timely response.